Girl Scouts of America:
Here at Eastern, we have our own Girl Scout Troop from Charleston, and the surrounding area. We hold biweekly meetings for the Brownie Troop in our Chapter Room and help them earn badges and gain life experiences.
Nationally, we adopted Girl Scouts as a philanthropy in 1998 and have our own Kappa Delta/Girl Scout patch.
This weeklong event is an EIU Greek Life favorite! All week, we raise money for Prevent Child Abuse of America. 80% of the money earned goes to the Children’s Advocacy Center here in Charleston, and the other 20% goes to the national level. At the end of the week, we host a 3-day paintball/dodge ball tournament at the fair grounds for the sororities, fraternities and the Charleston community.
Children’s Hospital in Richmond, Virginia:
Each year at Eastern, the women of Kappa Delta create a craft and send it to the patients at the Children’s Hospital. These crafts range from mirrors, to pillowcases, etc. Nationally, our support for this hospital dates back to 1921. Today, the Kappa Delta Foundation Children In Need Fund donates $25,000 annually directly to the hospital in honor of our historical commitment.
Since 1950, Kappa Delta has funded the highly coveted orthopedic research awards through the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons (AAOS). The three awards of $20,000 each are considered by the Academy to be the highest recognition of excellence and promise in orthopedic research. Starting with a $1,000 contribution in 1950, Kappa Delta as given over $1.2 million to the AAOS.